Wednesday, July 18, 2001

Choices

((If you had to choose) Would you choose to die before your beloved companion, or would you choose for them to die before you do?)

It's tough to choose giving up that comfort on the death bed... but I'd choose to go last. I'd rather she (or he) not have to suffer the pain of loss.


I've often said that the price you pay for getting everything you've ever wanted in life is the fear of losing it all.

It wasn't an easy decision for me by any means. Actually, one of the thoughts that ran through my head was "what if they find someone else after I'm gone and then they never join me if there's an afterlife?" How's that for selfish?

I just weighed the options, and actually, the deciding factors were the thoughts that came to mind while attempting to apply it to my life now. I have no partner, but I do have a best friend that I love very much. Very often it is her being on the planet that stops me from offing myself. I just couldn't hurt her like that. I just applied it to what I might feel with a lover. I don't think that I could bear causing them to suffer, or knowing that they might be. I'd rather be the one to bear the loss, at least that's a pain I know that I can deal with.

3 comments:

nexy said...

i'm selfish. i insisted that i die first, to the point of putting it in our wedding vows :P

Unknown said...

I'd choose to go last. I don't think my husband could live without me. I know that sounds dramatic, but he's actually told me that on several occasions. He's very sensitive and I think that my death would crush him. I am much better at dealing with loss than he is. I could handle it better and continue to live a productive life once I had grieved.

leela said...

I'd choose to go last too. Partly so I could help my husband cross over, and partly so I could face my own death unencumbered by overwhelming emotional attachments. If at all possible, I want to be clear-headed and fully ready to go.