Friday, November 3, 2000

Holidays?

I was thinking about holidays...

Holidays are supposed to be "holy-days". Being an American, there are certain holidays that I'm requested to observe (so much for the separation of church and state!), but I've never seen the majority of them as "holy" in any way.

Over the course of my 31 years, I've somehow managed to develop my own list of holidays... days that are - and will always be - special to me. I guess that, literally speaking, the only days that are actually "holy" to me are Oct. 31 and September 19, "Halloween" and my own birthday, respectively. I won't work on either of these days, and on both days my head tends to concentrate on matters of a spiritual nature. There are other days though, days that I see as holidays of a sort, that will always carry a special meaning to me.

1/19 - "P******r day" - my mother's and grandfather's birthday, my grandmother is the 22nd, so it's all on my mind on the 19th.
2/8 - "Relationship day" - The anniversary of getting together with my HS girlfriend (aka - the love of my life).
3/21(or so) - Spring Equinox
5/1 - May Day/Beltane
6/4, 6/9, and 6/19 - Birthdays of my best friend, her daughter, and my stepfather, respectively.
6/22 (or so) - Summer Solstice
6/27 - "Spiritual birthday" - The anniversary of my awakening.
8/1 - Lammas
8/10 - "Day of the Past" - The anniversary of my mother and stepfather's wedding, even though they're divorced and I have no contact with my mother (avoiding matricide), it still brings back a flood of memories.
9/1 - "September Day" - It's my "WOOHOO! It's gonna get cold soon!" day.
9/19 - My birthday
9/21 - Autumn Equinox
9/22 - My brother's birthday
10/18 - Father-figure #1's birthday
10/24 - My sister's birthday
10/31 - Samhain
11/5 - "Independence Day" - The anniversary of my leaving my home of horrors as a young teen... and also the anniversary of going from diaries to journal format in my writing... I'm on Volume 6, Chapter 3 at this point. The day will forever be my day of appreciating my freedom, though.
11/8 - _'s birthday (that love of my life I mentioned above)
11/26 (or wherever it falls) - American Thanksgiving - "Day of fear and stuffing" - Because of my lack of a family (LONG story), I'm always the oddball friend at another family's table. I'm always scared that I'm imposing, and I'm always uncomfortable. Even as a kid I felt uncomfortable at Thanksgiving, but that had more to do with the fights before leaving for dinner. You can take me out, but don't even THINK about dressing me up!
12/7 - "Fire Day" - Anniversary of the day my "family" and I experienced a 7 alarm apartment blaze (in '77).
12/21 (or so) - Winter Solstice
12/25 - "Day of financial panic and shame" I'm poor, so that makes buying gifts rather difficult. No matter what, I always feel badly about not being able to afford to buy things for people, especially when others around me are able to get things for me.
...and 12/31 - "Night of the Sacred Party Atmosphere" - (New Year's Eve) Every Beerwolf's most sacred day!

No comments: