Thursday, November 30, 2000

ok, boys and girls... (Hit a nerve?)

Well I see you opened yourself up to what is obviously a very sore subject for you...I wasn't aware that this was a loaded question...I was simple remarking on "Norms" here and with what I felt is within 2SD of a normal Bell curve...Of course people are unique and everyone is their "own" person. Normals are established guidelines which are instituted to give some structure to society. People fear what they don't know or can't anticipate..Would you wanna be afraid everytime you sat down cause the chair might give out from under you? There's a 5% chance that it might, but you put you faith in the 95% chance that it won't.. It's statistics and it helps us to make educated decisions and choices and predict events so that we can feel safer in our society that's all..Unfortunately, some people make moral judgements based on it due to their fears...


It's a touchy subject indeed, all the more reason to post it. When there's a raw nerve, it helps to discuss things with others. It helps them to hear why your nerve is raw, and it helps you to hear other perspectives about the subject.

As for the % thing....

A better analogy is that you decide to cross the Grand Canyon on a tightrope, there's a 2% chance that the rope will snap, and a 20% chance that you'll lose your balance. (2% of the world is intersexed, 20% is Gay or Bisexual - at least the ones who admit it)

Thing is, people are not chairs, nor are they tightropes. People are people and just because a group is in the minority doesn't mean that they don't exist. When you determine what a man is or a woman is, you still have to take the minorities into account.

If someone asked you what makes you a woman/man? What would your answer be?

Mine is, "Because I fucking say so".

It's all about respect. To call someone other than what they desire to be called is to not show that person any respect.

When I asked the question, I wasn't asking for the definition by Webster. I was looking for what you really felt. There's no wrong or right answer, just various answers which may or may not affect one another. If I'm lucky, then by reading this thread people will challenge their own ideas a little. In my book, that's what makes for a good thread, when I walk away from it thinking and maybe even changing my tune a bit.

oh... and by the way, I AM afraid every time I sit down that the chair will break. I don't see anything as 100%, not just in sexes, genders, and the like. I believe that anything is possible, and give credit to everything... even the little bit of evil in all good. Sometimes it can be seen as a state of constant fear, but mostly it's just a state of heightened awareness. The AWARENESS that the chair could break allows me to be prepared for it. The AWARENESS that not all men or women fall into any category allows me to be respectful to everyone.

No comments: