Friday, December 8, 2000

(The less fortunate...)

I've spent most of my life surrounded by homeless people. True, you might have given the guy a buck for booze... or maybe not. I always gave out change, if I had it... but once it was down to my last dollar, nope. I need to buy my own booze.

I don't care what the money is being spent on, but I'd prefer that people be honest. I'll give you a ten if I have it if you tell me you want to buy a bag of crack. I really don't care, and I appreciate the honesty. I gave a go-go dancer a $20 tip once, knowing that she was a heroin addict. I told her to please go and get fucked up for me, because I couldn't. I don't tip dancers, I just hang out with them. Many of my friends are/were dancers, so I'd go to hang out with them. I don't even like to watch the women... makes me a little sad and sort of nauseated. The heroin addict always tried working me for a tip... I never did tip her. I walked up to her the one time she left me alone and gave her the $20. Pretty much... I'll not degrade you by saying that your body is worth a dollar, but I'll give you a twenty if that will get you somewhere you are happy.

Whether or not that dollar went to booze or bread makes no difference. You gave the dollar to help the guy smile. I doubt he would've asked you for it if he was happy to begin with. He was in need, you gave.

Charity is not conditional. Some people need booze as much as others need food. As well, I'd rather a guy with a temper be passed out than beating someone up to get the money. It's really not for me to judge, and so I try not to. I'll give what I can spare. What a person does with it is none of my business.

No comments: