Thursday, February 15, 2001

(an "Alpha"?)

Like I said... it depends on the day... but the way I see an "Alpha" is usually as someone who is a leader just by their nature... someone who is followed just because it makes sense and because it's actually enjoyable.

I think the way I view "Alphas" is different than how others might view them... I forget which thread it was... one of the ones about the animals I live with, I think... someone pointed out that there are two different types of dominant cats... ones who just butt on in there and bully their way to the cat dish, and those who make sure that their brothers gets food first... or something to that effect. That's sort of how I see it in people as well. There are leaders who rule by fear... by size or size of firearm, and then there are those who just go about their lives and have people naturally follow them because what they're doing just makes more sense than what the others are doing.

When I see Weres mixed into the population in general, they seem like natural-born Alphas, in the sense that most people around them tend to interact with them that way... they tend to see the Were as someone to listen to and, in a sense, follow... even though (and maybe because of the fact that) it seems Weres don't like to be around large groups or be burdened by "leading" anyone.

As for a "Were community"... honestly... I just don't see it. There's a lot of online stuff, but I honestly don't see any "Were community". I know the Weres that I connect with, and the people that I don't... but it's a far cry from a "Were community". Speaking for Weres like me, their communities are a combination of people... not just others that call themselves "Were"... this is for many reasons (all people being just as valued, being one), but I think the truth is that there are so few Weres that building an actual community is next to impossible. We're scattered all over the globe, and until we are centrally located, the only community is online, and in Were reality (again, I'm talking about "Were like me").... you don't call a person a sibling or packmate until you can smell them, and they smell like home.

No comments: