Wednesday, February 14, 2001

Empathy is insanity.

It took me a while to understand the whole "empathy" thing. Actually, it wasn't until recently that I, finally, really woke up to just how much it has affected my life. For years, being an empath was being a really messed up Trekkie to me. That's about as much credit as I gave the label. Whatever it was that I was experiencing just had to do with being Psychic. I'm not even so sure that I still don't see the two terms as synonymous.

I think that empathy is linked to learning... aping, parroting, mimicking. It's something that is biological... serves or once served to enable us to survive. With those who are actually empathic, this inherent quality is just rather strong. I definitely notice when a person is lacking this quality... and it makes me nuts attempting to be around them... you know... those people who "just can't take a hint".

I've noticed, in my self/selves that it's not just that whatever another person is feeling that I end up feeling... it's also the way in which a person speaks, moves, carries themself, etc. In order to stop myself, it actually takes a hell of a lot of conscious effort, and if I don't keep on myself about it, I revert right back.

For example, my housemate broke his ankle last Friday. On Saturday, I went outside to have a smoke and all of a sudden realized that I was limping. When I realized it, I had a brain explosion... a sort of epiphany. I'd never really noticed the extent of my empathy, but at that moment... I finally got it.

I'm glad that I'm still growing and still able to gain more insight into my being/s. I think that recognizing just how extreme my empathy is, is a great start for getting a better handle on it. It's affected my life for 31+ years, even though I had no real knowledge of what it meant to be an empath. It's enabled me to understand people much better than the average person does, but it has also made me nuts and totally dysfunctional in social situations... I'm constantly bombarded by everyone else's energies... it's like the world is attempting to possess me.

I may not be homicidal... it's entirely possible that it's just that everyone else is.

Indeed... I am God.

No comments: