Thursday, September 20, 2001

(About the "loss of freedom"...)

I'm sure that I'll get people who disagree with me... but that's nothing new.

About the "loss of freedom"...

In all honesty, I can't think of anyone that this has impacted more than Arabic and Islamic Americans. They're now under constant suspicion. They're walking targets... not just targets for the idiotic few who do not know the difference between "Terrorist" and "Darker than pink-skinned American", but targets for the U.S. government as well. If you're an Arab or Islamic American and had plans to fly anywhere over the past week, you're toast. If you're an Arab or Islamic American and happen to have relatives in Afghanistan, you and they are both toast.

I'm used to being searched at airports. Any biker, punker, odd-ball, dude with a cock ring or freak is used to it. It's called being unique. I'm used to being afraid to leave my house. It's called living in the inner city. I'm used to being afraid of cops. It's called being intersexed. I'm used to being afraid of my neighbor. It's called paranoia.

Have I lost my freedom because some idiot decided to play kamakaze with the WTC and the Pentagon? Nope. My life has changed little. There's just a little more fear about the drinking water.

...but I can't say the same for the people in this country who have the (right now, bad) luck of being of Arabic, Indian, African American, or of other dark skinned heritage who attempt to follow their religion and dress accordingly. Ask them about their freedom, and they'll most likely say... it's toast.

We're wiping out terrorism?

ok... how 'bout we start with the KKK?

Americans are no saints. We're human, just like the rest of the world. Wish we could act that way.

No comments: