Sunday, September 16, 2001

again...

That was not posted meaning that I feel that people shouldn't pray. It was about my being bothered that church (ALL churches, not just Christian churches) and state were not being kept separate.

It's not that I'm pissed that the Pagans were left out of the big prayer ceremony (although in all fairness, when you say ALL religions, you should do a better job at including ALL religions), it's that officially declaring a day of prayer is not something Bush has the license to do. Prayer is a spiritual practice... and at the least, an issue of morals. It is not the job of the government to dictate our morals, only to enforce laws. We are not "one nation, under God", we are one nation under a constitution.

People have their faith right now, and that is good... but we also need our government, and we need that government to represent us as a country, not as a "nation under God". If this is ever to be a "nation under God", I'm moving. The fact that I have the freedom to be as non-religious, or as religious as I care to be is one of the reasons I love my country. The fact that we are a nation full of people, some of who are "God fearing" and some of who are Atheists is what makes this country so great.

No comments: