Thursday, August 5, 2004

~It's a family affair

I do not have a traditional family. Why this is the case could fill volumes, but suffice it to say that in the world of Cutter, blood isn't much thicker than air.

I'm starting a new relationship. I'm building a family with the woman I love, with our love for one another as the foundation. To this new relationship, we bring our existing families, and the love we have for them. In her case, her family is more traditional. In mine, it's far from that.

To my new "immediate family" which consists of the most beautiful woman in the world, and two equally beautiful kids, I add myself and attach those who I consider to be my family. That family consists of 3 siblings, and a bunch of second and third cousins. I share DNA with my brother. I do not with either of my two sisters. I do with a few second and third cousins, but not all of them.

My brother is technically my half-brother, but he is no less my brother. My sisters are my "best friend" and the friend I've had in my life the longest, but they are no less my sisters. My extended cousins, blood relatives or not, are people I can take or leave. I feel fondly towards them, but I feel no sense of obligation and not a whole hell of a lot of love.

I'm lucky that I have family. I'm lucky that I got to choose my family. I'm lucky that my family chose me. As much as I piss and moan about my "mother", my "father", or any of the rest of those I share DNA with, I do know how lucky I am to have people in my life who care for me, and whom I care for.

I'm proud, lucky, and elated that I have the opportunity to add 3 new wonderful people to my life. I'm truly blessed.

No comments: