Saturday, July 9, 2005

070905 reply to ~ comment

"Abusive people are abusive. My mother didn't drink. My "father" did. They were both abusive fucks."
- I'd never thought about this until I read it. While I've never experienced it personally I had close friends when I was younger who did. I wonder if they feel the same way?


My reply:
I think that people blame the alcohol because they can't deal with the truth of the situation. It's easier to say, for example, "My husband is a drunk." rather than, "My husband doesn't love me." or "I'm pushing my husband over the edge." or "My husband has issues which I can't solve for him." It's easier to blame the beer than the man (or the parent)... and too... it's easier to blame the beer than oneself.

3 comments:

a_black_wolf said...

Be REALLY fucking thankful that you don't have first hand experience of what alcoholism does to a family.
The alcohol is only an outward symptom of what is wrong inside of the person with the addiction.
Alcoholism infects, mutilates, and tortures the vast majority of people who care about the alcoholic.
This entry infuriated me.
But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Cutter said...

Reading your comment, I think that you're actually agreeing with me.

You said, "The alcohol is only an outward symptom of what is wrong inside of the person with the addiction."

Then, we agree. It's not the alcohol that's at fault, it's the person drinking it.

a_black_wolf said...

yes, my love, as usual, we agree. :)