Saturday, November 17, 2001

Squaring The Circle

I'm not sure how many topics on labeling and definitions I've posted. I'm sure I've posted quite a few, but I've yet to settle my brain on the subject.

I guess that my main question/confusion is that...

If there is no such thing as a "universal definition" and a label is what the person who wears it says it is, then how can we communicate?

My suspicion there is that we can't. Life is a constant struggle to say what we think others want to hear in order to not offend them, yet also say what we mean.

Why is it that I can say a woman is a woman if she says she's a woman, yet in the next breath I say, "No, a Were is an evolved human."? Is it that I simply follow my own rule book? Follow my own raw nerves? Draw the line at... I'll respect your label as long as it doesn't cause one of mine to slide off?

I guess another question is, how can I convey who or what I am without either disrespecting someone or having to change my own label? If I refuse to call someone a "Vampire" because they do not fit my definition of a "Vampire", am I any better than someone who thinks all women have XX chromosomes?

I find myself feeling less and less able to communicate. The more I, by my own standards, evolve and become enlightened... the more I see things as they, by my own standards, truly are, the more I'm left unable to form sentences.

The more I see that there is no Black and White, the more the Grey eats away at my brain and makes me solidify my definition of the word "insane".

1 comment:

labellamorte said...

Very thought provoking, Thank You.