Thursday, June 20, 2002

(NOT a Hate Crime? - To wrap it up...)

There are a lot of issues surrounding this that concern me. It's not just the hate crime debate and the definition of rape, but also the issue of the oppression of women, and legally defining just what a woman is in the first place. The way I see it, there are thousands of women who cannot be raped because the law refuses to recognize them as such, and thousands of men who could experience a "sexual assault" identical to that which a woman who is raped experiences, but it's not rape because the law refuses to admit that it's possible to rape a man. It's my usual "body parts don't make the man/woman" rant. I've just started so many topics (on my board) on it that I'm loathe to start yet another. After a while I get tired of seeing my own name over and over again, and a couple of people have voiced their annoyance about my choice of subject matter in the past, so I try to contain myself.

No comments: