Tuesday, June 11, 2002

(NOT a Hate Crime?)

It's too early, and I'm still trying to shake off my meds... so... I'll keep this short.

By my definition, rape is not always a hate crime against women. It's only a hate crime when it is committed by someone who hates all women. It's the same thing if a guy beats the hell out of another guy, and later it turns out that the guy who got beat up is gay. The crime was committed, but because the guy doing the beating had no clue that the other guy was gay, it doesn't classify as a "hate crime". (Although in today's justice system I'm sure that the lawyer would try to use it.)


Perhaps, in the case of a serial rapist, it could be seen as a hate crime. Most rapes are committed by people who know the women they rape though. It's not a vendetta against all women, it an issue with a specific woman or type of woman. The person is usually not committing the rape only because of the fact that the victim is a woman. If it were the case that any woman would do, the attacker could go home to their own mother.


Rape is a violent crime... and the people who get raped vary. Men, women, children, and even wonderful freakydinks like me get raped... and as well... they also are rapists. Women rape. Children rape. It's not exclusive to men.

I can't classify rape as a hate crime. I think that the instances in which I could classify it as such are way fewer than the ones where I just see it as brutal, horrible, and worthy of the rapist losing their sex organs... so I'd have to go with no on the record books.

No comments: