Thursday, September 19, 2002

Re: I'M DONE

(dad-unit), I was talking about you READING what was in your section. I posted a thread there days ago that you've yet to address.

NL., it's actually related. The way people feel about their sections and people not showing up or asking for the password, or whatever, is a lot like what I go through on the main board.

Here's an example...

What if c. had shown up that day in your section and no one even said hello to him when he arrived? Sure, it'd make c. feel a bit unwelcome, but even more, it would make you feel a little embarrassed because of the lack of manners of the people in your section. It's not that people should care about c. (they don't even know him yet), but they should care about YOU.

On a board of 40, when the same half dozen or so people keep replying to all the topics, it makes ME feel embarrassed, and it makes me feel bad for the poster.

This whole "You didn't ask me, so you don't care" and "You didn't invite me, so you don't care" thing is the same as what goes on, on the board itself. It's "You didn't reply to my topic, so you don't care" and "You didn't reply to my topic, so why should I reply to yours if you really don't care?"


Perhaps it is childish to need reassurance, but I think that many of us do. We're prone to thinking the worst when people are silent or when they don't show up at all. (Online and offline)

I've done my best, at this point, to eliminate all the people I really thought didn't care (again, with the exception of the newer members). How do I judge who cares? It's not post count, it's not how many days a week or hours per day, it's not how long you've kept (the board) in your favorites list.

I read EVERY POST, EVERY DAY. It's like reading a book. After a while, the characters solidify.... you can tell who is up to what and what they're feeling, to a certain degree.

Not that everyone can get along with everyone in the world... but this ISN'T the whole world. It's a group of people. If you're on the board and despise all but 2 members, I'd sooner have you leave. This isn't a drift on and off board, it's a board that is supposed to be comprised of people who all care for one another... A board that you want to come to as often as you want to see your friends and loved ones offline. As close to a "family" as this sort of thing can be.

I tried to whittle it down to those of us I felt actually saw this place, and one another, in that light.

Now it's up to us to decide where to put the furniture.

No comments: