Sunday, December 9, 2001

Doubting Thomas (it kept going)

(for example...)

If I refuse to accept the fact that all Jews aren't conniving, it follows that by my definition, a Jew is a conniving person. If I believe this way, I would fall into the category of "closed minded", because I refuse to accept other people's definitions of what a "Jew" is and adhere to my own.

If I say that some Jews are conniving, but so are some other people who aren't Jews... and as well, being Jewish has nothing to do with being conniving, and vice versa, that would make me a bit more open minded than in the example above.

So - set definitions = closed minded, and loose, adaptable definitions = open minded.

So, let's picture a line. (This is polarizing, and I hate doing it, but I'm really trying hard to get you to understand what I'm saying here. )

At the beginning of the line is the closed minded person. As you move along the line, people are more and more open minded.

What is at the other end of the line?

Apparently I am.


There is no such thing as a Jew. There is no such thing as conniving. You can't define either one.

The more open your mind is/becomes, the more you realize that nothing can be defined.


I had trouble writing this. None of it makes any sense... I'm trying to speak "your language", but I keep getting tripped up. Hopefully you can make, at least, a little sense out of it.

1 comment:

macseth said...

"The more open your mind is/becomes, the more you realize that nothing can be defined."

That is very profound... and to me, it makes a whole world of sense.