Saturday, March 13, 2004

Retro Topic #1 (just letting my brain run - I)

There's a difference between "sex" and "gender" (and sexuality). ...at least from what I've learned, and what I know. "Gender" is comprised of things like "masculine" and "feminine". "Sex" has to do with physical parts. I don't know that we all start out one gender... and I disagree that we all start out as one sex. Just because you can't see chromosomes doesn't mean that they're not there.

Both gender and sex are stereotypes. I think that's what makes all of this so tricky. Do they exist? Sure they do.... but they vary, depending on whom you ask.

I think that in calling oneself "Bisexual", it's more of an issue of identity than anything else. It's more about the label, and less about the practice. I've never met anyone who wouldn't be considered "Bisexual" by someone's definition, but I've met many who would not be considered a member of the GLBT community and who would not ever call themselves "Bi".

No comments: