Friday, March 12, 2004

Retro Topic #1 (Pans are hot)

Retro topic posted 3/11/04:
What do YOU think the criteria for being bisexual is?
- Topic originally posted by Nv on 1/21/01


I'm still tossing this around in my head, but this is about where I'm at currently...

"Bi" implies 2. In that, the term "Bisexual" would imply that there are only two sexes. I disagree with this. What many refer to as "Bisexual", I would call "Pansexual". If "Bisexual" is used to mean that not only does one (sexually) prefer people of their own sex, but also people who are not, then I'm cool with that. "Bisexual" meaning that you are attracted to either sex is offensive to me. Either implies 2. There aren't only 2 sexes.

In my experience, "Bisexual" people are often not "open" when it comes to parts. For example, a woman with a penis would not be acceptable to them, even if they were attracted to her otherwise. That being the case, many "Bisexual" people are just that... BI... only open to two... stereotypical males and stereotypical females.

Too, parts and sex aside, "Bisexual" can also be a lifestyle... sort of like I see "Gay" and "Homosexual" as being potentially different things... being Bisexual is often not only about sex. It's about love and romance and companionship and, if a person is open about it, identity.

That said, although I think that everyone is born "Pansexual" in nature, identifying as "Bisexual" or "Pansexual" is something a person chooses to do (as well as acting on their desires is something they choose whether or not to do).

So, in my book, "Bisexual" can mean...

1) A person who is potentially sexually attracted to stereotypical male humans, and also potentially sexually attracted to stereotypical female humans.
2) A person who is potentially romantically attracted to stereotypical male humans, and also potentially romantically attracted to stereotypical female humans.
3) A person who not only (potentially) sexually prefers people of their own sex, but also people who are not.
4) A person who not only (potentially) romantically prefers people of their own sex, but also people who are not.
5) Another word for "Pansexual".

I'm Pansexual... but... if you buy me something, I might get sexual.

No comments: