Wednesday, August 14, 2002

...In the pants... (g)

Well... I had been meaning to get into the whole "transspecieal" thing, but...

Hopefully I can get this out without seeming offensive...

(Again) It's often tough to put my thoughts into accurate words...

I agree that perhaps I should not use the word "always", but as well, I want to attempt to distinguish between someone who is "transsexual" and someone who is, for example, schizophrenic. Not that there isn't a such thing as a schizophrenic transsexual, but to me, there's a difference between someone who has a female brain and a stereotypically male body, and someone who has the temporary delusion that they're actually a female.

As well, to me, there's also a difference between seeing oneself as a female and seeing oneself as a woman. One is sex, and the other is gender. A male who sees oneself as a woman, but is completely comfortable with one's body... no, I'd not see that person as Intersexed. I'd see that person as a transgendered male.

I'm not up on the wording of the standards of care, but if it actually says "one always had the sense of wrong gender", I'd have to disagree. To me, it's about having the sense of wrong "sex". To me, transsexualism is about the body. Transgender is about gender role. If the body is fine, but the imposed role is wrong, then it's about the role... the gender assignment. The fact that people think that in order to be a woman, a person has to have certain parts, is pretty twisted... and, I think, a mentality which affects people in very negative ways. There's no reason that a woman should feel less of a woman if she loses a breast to cancer. There's no reason that a small penis should make a man feel less of a man. I think that people not being taught to separate sex from gender is something which does nothing but cause pain. To me, that surgery is recommended to men who enjoy lingerie, long hair, and getting their nails done is simply brutal... and it is sexist. Pink may be a feminine thing, but it is not a female thing.

That aside though, if a person desires to change their body in order to better express themself, that's all fine and good. There's nothing wrong with that... "My body, my choice". I just think that people should be made aware that the parts don't make the gender. To me, no matter what surgery a person gets or does not get, their gender does not change because of it. Gender may well change day to day, year to year, or hour to hour, and that's fine. I'll respect a person no matter what... but no matter what their gender does, it does not change a person's sex (in my book).

Maybe I fail to realize that as "gender" is a social construct, it does include things like body parts from time to time. Be that as it may, I'm part of society.... and I object.

No comments: