Thursday, August 1, 2002

...In the pants... (a)

ok... I'll address this here...

"IMO, If you are physically intersexed, you can not be a transsexual, at least as the terms are commonly used today."

I'm not too worried about common usage. That I know of, "Intersexed" means that you have physiological parts which are stereotypically attributed to both recognized sexes. I have both. I'm "Intersexed".

By the standards of many, "Transsexual" means that you were once labeled by the birth certificate/drivers ID people as one sex, and then you had to change it to the other in order to accurately represent you.

I'm, then, also a transsexual.

"An intersexed person by definition is not male or female, in a somatic or genetic sense they are somewhere in-between."

Yes, that would be me.

"From this standpoint, an intersexed person can not transition from male to female, or female to male. An intersexed person can be raised as one sex, and later decide to live as the other sex, but that would be a social transition, not a physical one."

Many of those people who identify as "Intersexed" and whom others identify as "Intersexed" have numerous surgeries, and do indeed have to change their IDs, etc.

"Even with surgery to alter the body, an intersexed person is moving from intersexed to male or female."

Disagree. Many Intersexed people "move" to a specific sex/gender, but, as well, many people who are declared a specific sex later declare themselves "Intersexed" with acquired knowledge and understanding of themselves.

"If it is every proven that transsexuality is caused by innate biological brain differentials, rather than by social construction, then transsexuals never really existed, transsexuals would also be intersexed."

THAT is a BIG ol' can o' worms.

IMHO

All "transsexuals" are Intersexed.

The brain is an organ. The chromosomes are part of what the "majority" use to declare "sex".

No one can ever go fully from one STEREOTYPICAL sex to another.

(12:52 AM)

I think that it has to do with a label.

"Trans" implies one thing. "Intersexed" another.


For example...

When I changed my name and my documents, my "dad-unit" had trouble... not because he had to shift from seeing me as a "she" to a "he"... but because he had to shift from seeing me as someone without a sex/gender to someone with one.

I've always been "Intersexed". Despite people attempting to see me as a female... it just wasn't possible. To the majority, I looked like a boy. (When my clothes were off, I still looked oddly masculine, but still... not "stereotypically" male.)

I'll always be "Intersexed". It's not just the parts, but also my life experiences.

With someone who does not choose "Intersexed" as a label... I'd see their experience as more... "I was an uncomfortable (man/woman boy/girl), but then I made some adjustments and was ok with my new chosen identity.


Technically... yes, I could say (as I have, above) that all Transsexuals are "Intersexed"... BUT... the reason why I identify primarily as "Intersexed", as opposed to "Transsexual" is because I've never (really) been one sex and gone to the other... other than on paper, and with people who could not accept that I was other than "female".

If you compared my experience to the average FtM's... we'd have very little in common (to say the least). Even when I involved myself in Trans events... everyone thought that I must have been a MtF. I just never really looked "female"... even to the "trained" eye.... and it wasn't just an issue of "passing". I've just always been... "me".... and who "me" is, is an "Intersexed" guy... not "male" or "female".

All that aside though... it does NOT negate that for many years, I was (attempted to be) socialized as a "female"... and that my body did "female" things and had "female" parts... even though today I am legally "male" with "both" parts.

I know what cramps, wearing mini-diapers, and bleeding all over yourself feels like...

That's not a stereotypical guy thing.

I'm 32 and I don't bleed. I don't get cramps. I also have a rather fluffy face and get a hard on from sneezing the wrong way.

That's a stereotypical guy thing.

No comments: