Monday, August 1, 2005

Hyperacusis (1,2)

Central hyperacusis with phonophobia in multiple sclerosis.
Weber H, Pfadenhauer K, Stöhr M, Rösler A.
(Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Klinikum Augsburg, Augsburg, Germany. oa.neurologie@klinikum_augsburg.de)


(from an online MS group I belong to)

Does anyone know of any medication that works to help MS-
related "Central hyperacusis with phonophobia"?

To clarify, EXTREME sound sensitivity, to the point of pain and panic.


Date: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:27 am
So far, nothing seems to work. They had me on Tegretol, for a while, and it seemed to (mysteriously) help, but then it stopped working. Earplugs don't work. Shoot, my heartbeat is too damn loud sometimes.

Out of all my MS symptoms, this one is at the top of my "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!" list. There's NO escape.

For years, they told me it was just a part of "PTSD". MISdiagnosis. For years, I thought I'd blown out my eardrums. I'm a drummer. For years, I thought everyone else was too loud and obnoxious.

I went to my Neurodude appointment, the other day... and I begged for something to help me with this. His first response was to doubt it being MS related. I didn't give a rat's ass what he said. I KNOW it's MS related. Damn Residents. I found the info online when I came home, and that was all the "proof" I needed to back up my assumption.

It's getting worse and and worse.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any medication that seemed to help.

From what I can gather, the answer is "no".... it's just part of
going deaf. This makes me sad.

I'm scheduled for an MRI today. Maybe I'll take a copy of the MRI and a copy of the article, and smack Neurodude upside the head with them.


8/1/05 4:29 PM
...and the MRI results are in.

I'm "active". They want me to come back into the hospital for yet another 5 day solu-medrol treatment.

fun fun fun :\

No comments: