Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Help Wanted (yes, even more)

I had a scanner. Had to get rid of it because it's "not compatable" with my computer.

I was scanning quite a bit, when I could still use it... but I was using it more like a "home copier".

What is taking up the most space is the online stuff. The e-mails and threads and IMs... true, I could have saved that all on disk... but I decided to save it on paper. (Hindsight is 20/20) Even if I had saved it all on disk, I'd have printed it out. I like hard copy. I just had no clue just how much hard copy I'd end up with. When I started this project (I think it was about 1996, but it could have been earlier than that.) I thought I'd be organized within about 5 years. I might have been, had I not "discovered" the internet.

I've discovered that with any form of art, when I stop using it as something just for myself, I eventually stop doing it, period. When I started reading my poetry out, it changed my style of writing. This lead to my stopping writing poety. When I went to college for music... well, I sold both the Double Bass beasts within months of withdrawing. When I started writing online, I all but stopped keeping my journal. When I started organizing my writing for eventual publication... well, it took quite a few years, but I'm now at the point where if I really need to tell my life story, I'll hire a biographer. :\

No comments: