Wednesday, July 10, 2002

Boys Don't Cry (pt 2)

It's not that I don't have anything to say, it's just that I feel that whatever I say will be misunderstood.

Although I was happy to read what had been posted, I feel that the point of what I wrote was completely missed by a few people.

My point was/is that everyone is "transgendered" to some degree.

I don't want to argue. Debate though, is not really arguement. Hearing an opposing viewpoint is often the only way I learn anything. No, the majority of the world will never understand what you, N., Kr., or I went/go through... but... that doesn't change my belief that 1) "transgender" issues affect everyone. 2) all people should be supportive of "trans" rights/protective laws for that reason, if for no other reason, and 3) people should be aware of the fact that if we all adhered strictly to a set stereotype, "transgendered" people would be the majority, as opposed to the minority (if society and imposed labels adhered strictly to the stereotypes, "transgendered" would be the majority.)

True, if we say that everyone is "transgendered", then it doesn't allow for necessary laws and protections to be put in black and white to protect certain people from discrimination/oppression/violence, but... that's not my point in this thread. The "point" was to point out to people that much of what they consider to be "normal" about themselves and others, is actually, by definition, "transgendered".

No comments: