Tuesday, July 16, 2002

Boys Don't Cry (pt 4)

i agree that many behaviors could be viewed as counter to prevailing stereotypes. i do not agree that most of these expression qualify as "transgendered", because they do not function as an expression, on the part of the individual, of an actual different gender... they are *extensions* of the person's (native) gender-expression. a man wearing an earring is not "partly a woman". he is a man wearing an earring. changing gender *roles and expressions* is not *changing gender*.


If you define "transgender" as actually an expression of changing gender, as opposed to crossing the set gender lines, then I'd agree. If you define "transgender" as the latter, then (I think) my point is valid.

Do I see a man who wears an earing as "part woman"? Nope... not unless he asks me to... but I do see wearing earings as a stereotypically "woman" thing to do, and so I see a man wearing earings as crossing gender lines.

Above all that though, "softening" the word "transgender" is something I attempt to do. I do my best to speak of the term in a way that more people understand it a bit better... and if not, maybe I can at least convince a few people that "transgender" people are not monsters... that "transgender" people are...

citizens.

No comments: