Thursday, July 11, 2002

Boys Don't Cry (pt 3)

"My point" is: "that everyone is "transgendered" to some degree."


For example... LO2 wears an earing (or two, I'm not sure how many). Although he thinks nothing of it, it is, in essence, a "transgendered" thing to do. The stereotype is that only girls and women wear earings. Yes, the stereotype is slowly changing, but if you adhere strictly to it... There is a part of LO2's expression of himself that is "female/woman/girl/feminine" He also shaves his face... that too can fall into the "transgender" realm. By stereotype, men have facial hair.

Unless you are one to adhere strictly to the stereotype, in essence, you are transgendered. Being that I've never met one person in my life (and I've met A LOT of people) that fit the stereotype, I can safely say that in essence, everyone is "transgendered". People choose not to adhere to the stereotype, they choose to "play with gender". "Transgender" when broken down, means to cross (trans) gender lines.

No, not everyone falls into the flattering categories of "Genderfuck" or "freak of nature"... but my point in pointing out that "transgender issues" affect everyone because everyone is transgendered to some degree, is to point out why people should support things like laws that protect transgendered people, and why people should take an interest in the subject.


Hope I'm starting to make some sort of sense.

No comments: