Monday, November 10, 2003

(on reclaiming "Queer")

I'd agree that it does have to do with who is saying it and why, but only to a point. I have to admit that no matter who is saying it, unless they're Queer themself, there's a little twinge or sting in the back of my mind.

"Queer" still means "different from the norm" or "odd". It depends on the day... sometimes I can be "proud" of being "different", and then other times it doesn't feel so good. Marginalized.

I think that although reclamation of the word is important, it's right up there with the "N" word for me. It should only be used by people who are actually Gay, Lesbian, Bi/Pan, or Trans. It doesn't matter that it actually once meant simply "odd". It was a word that was used as a weapon for a long time. I've heard many people defend themselves by explaining that the "N" word means "ignorant" too.

I don't know... to me, unless it's a person who is Gay, Lesbian, Bi/Pan, or Trans themself, the word still stings... at least a little.

No comments: