Sunday, September 4, 2005

~Beggars can't be choosers.

Yeah well... when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Anyway... where was I?

Right... thoughts...

Yesterday, it occurred to me, while watching CNN, that most people don't know the issues involved with getting housing and/or housing assistance from the government. This won't be just an issue of finding the homes, it'll have to be an issue of changing laws. Housing operates by filling their quotas. It also DOES NOT allow for people who are not "family" to live together. That brings up A LOT of issues. GLBT people are going to have problems. Shoot, even the hetero couple who were just living together and not yet married are going to have problems. If you ever committed a crime? Problems. Bad credit? No credit? Problems. You want to put how many in that bedroom? Sorry. No can do. No references? Sorry.

I've been trying, for years, to see if I can join up with some of the other low income people I've met, so that we can all get assistance and live together. Nope. No can do. I can't even have anyone staying at my apartment with me for more than 21 days. With the "help" comes the rules (to say nothing of the "inspections")... it's infuriating, but it's true. Many of the freedoms many Americans take for granted, you don't have those as a person receiving "help".

I won't even go into what's up with the "free food" you get at various places.

My only hope is that once A LOT of people have to go through these things, some light will be shed on the issues and problems. I'm lucky. I know the drill. I know how the system works (and doesn't). I'm used to feeling like property of the damn State. A LOT of people are about to get one hell of a wake up call though. I can only hope that the wake up call will wake up the right people.

No comments: