Thursday, September 1, 2005

~Just let me rant

I have a lot to say about what's going on right now, although I'm just usually caught between a scream, a cheer, and a "completely speechless", and haven't been able to say much.

People's focus on the "looting" and "lawlessness"? That, I find dumbfounding. Where the fuck have people been living?!?! Under a rock?!?! For the people in this country who are at the bottom of the income ladder, this country has SUCKED SHIT for years now! You take people who already had next to nothing, and who were treated like shit, and who had people's fingers pointing in their faces for centuries, and take away everything (including their hope) from them, what the fuck do you think they're going to do?!?!?

I just spent over 8 MONTHS waiting to get housing. I'm white. I had a cell phone to constantly call and hound the agencies. I had my paperwork in order. I had a disease, and proof of it. I had the first month's rent, and my disability check to get me by. I had a place to stay until something came through. ..and it made me fucking CRAZY. Where the HELL do you think these people are going to go!?!?!?!!? Where do you think they're going to find work!?!?!?! How do you think they're going to be able to feed their children?!?!?! ...and you want to bitch because they're stealing tvs to sell, and wanting to take out the "leaders" in society?

People say, "Well, they were told to leave!" Where the fuck should they have gone, and how in hell were they supposed to get there? The stadium?!?!?! Even if they thought about walking to the stadium, knowing what you know,.. and hearing "wolf" cried constantly in your life, WOULD YOU? It's New Orleans!!! Even all this aside, people don't want to walk the streets in many neighborhoods, at night. Would you, after being searched, trap yourself in a stadium with 10,000 strangers? Would you bring your wife and kids there? How about your grandmother?

Most of these people are people who wanted help from their government long before this... and they got very little. They got their kids sent off to Iraq, their food and cash assistance taken away, their health and prescription coverage taken away, and their corner store closed down thanks to WalMart. They were locked up, and spit on, and demonized.

Anarchy? Lawlessness? You're talking about people who didn't need a whole hell of a lot of a reason to revolt in the first place!


I have to stop. I'm getting riled, again. Maybe I'll write more later.

No comments: