Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Just the basic facts

Had to get this out of my system...


How I want to treat my MS.

1. Treat the symptoms - pain, anxiety/racing thoughts/rage, Insomnia - as needed meds, or nothing. Inderal for blood pressure is ok, and my Testosterone shots are ok, but that's that's more than enough meds for me to keep up with. Ideally, I do not want to take a medication if I'm not experiencing problematic symptoms that day. Example - I do not want to take meds to prevent pain. I want access to meds that will stop pain if I'm suffering in excess.

2. No Copaxone, etc. I've dealt this long, I'll continue dealing. If I have a "flare up" or symptom that I cannot handle, I will go to the ER and be admitted for a Solu-Medrol treatment. I'm on disability. This helps me to function adequately, by giving me more time for rest and the ability to avoid many stressors. The daily stress of injections and being even further chemically dependent is not a stress which I feel capable of handling.

3. I want to keep track of things using MRI. T-Spine, C-Spine, and Brain, at least once a year.

4. I am a DNR patient. I'm NOT interested in prolonging my life, only in living the rest of it out as painlessly as possible, and with as much dignity as possible. I have struggled with this disease since I was a teenager. There's no un-doing the damage. There's no curing the disease. I do not have "quality time" between "flare ups" to lengthen. I haven't had that since 1999, and I've learned to deal, using meds and therapy. Unless something comes along to restore my brain, I'm not interested in MS therapies.

5. I want the assistance of a doctor who will LISTEN TO ME. I know myself better than anyone else knows me. I'm not a complete idiot (yet). I do not want to be judged, or insulted, or "blown off". I do the hiring. I can do the firing. I'll sooner go without a doctor than pay one to treat me with disdain.

No comments: