Monday, October 10, 2005

Thought I'd share this

From the Yahoo group I belong to:


I'm bisexual woman with multiple sclerosis. My straight, gay-supportive husband is quadriplegic. An understanding minister married us as our gay friends witnessed, as well as family, and all signed our marriage certificate per the Methodist Church and their God. However, if we file a legal marriage license, we lose everything, even home help assistance. I say disabled is homosexual without the coming-out party.

If we file a legal marriage license, government says husband loses all of his welfare income. We then are required to share food stamps and live off my meager earned social security credit. That's a whopping limit of $836 dollars American each month. I have to release my disabled low income apartment and move into his big low income room, and without accommodations for my particular medical problems. (i.e.you can't make a drive-in shower into a bathtub). I lose my home helper because the state thinks one helper can simultaneously assist me, weak but walking, dizzy, slurring around town 3 to 15 miles per day for errands and exercise, AND at the same time helping my lovely stephen-hawking-ish quad 5 hours each morning as he eats, bathes and toilets. Yeah right.

So much for the 'defense of marriage act'. The current American government doesn't smile on disableds marrying anymore than gays. Expectation is one must find and marry an affluent, well-insured, healthy straight with money. Otherwise, you'd better hide that holy marriage certificate. (Dan Savage where are you?) Ungodly discrimination all around.

No comments: