Friday, November 4, 2005

"food is good" the ~comments

(in food is good)


by lxxxx 11.04.05 (9:31 am)
mmmmm. Stuffing. That is my one favorite thing about Thanksgiving. I love stuffing so much that I even love the cheap StoveTop stuff but *real* stuffing is to die for.

I hope you find you can have a nice Thanksgiving meal. Do you have someone you can invite over?


by Jxx 11.04.05 (9:50 am)
I don't suppose you'd want to share your stuffing recipe? Pretty please? Stuffing is the one thing I could never figure out.


to lxxxx 11.04.05 (11:21 am)
If I do cook, I'll invite my best friend over. :)

to jxx 11.04.05 (11:25 am)
Jxx, if I told you, I'd have to shoot you. ;)

Just kidding.

I don't really have a recipe. The way I cook, I choose the ingredients, and then use my nose to guide me. When the aroma has me drooling, and ready to eat the darn pot I'm cooking in, it's done.

I'll have to jot down what I use, if I make it, and then I'll send you the notes. :)


by jxxxxxxxxxx 11.04.05 (1:17 pm)
I enjoy cooking for myself and for others... each circumstance has its own specific set of delights.... that coupled with the healing power of comfort foods makes a full fridge and a full tummy good medicine. Enjoy your day in the kitchen... hopefully, if you are able to get a few things whipped up, any patches of rough road that lay ahead will be smoothed a bit as you nourish yourself on some of today's creations as well as on the smiles you were afforded while making them.

by Jxxxxx 11.04.05 (1:29 pm)
I think, I have a vague memory of you making stuffing: You holding a spatchala or something. You were being silly at L's house. I believe it was our "we have no where to go for thanksgiving holiday" as usual for the unwanted outcasts.

by jxx 11.04.05 (1:30 pm)
I do the same, but my nose won't tell me that it's ALWAYS going to be the consistency of runny oatmeal when the bird is done *sigh* I would appreciate the culinary wisdom, Thanks!

by ? 11.04.05 (1:31 pm)
Maybe, I can come over for thanx giving? I will try, if not I don't see why not Christmass


to jzz 11.04.05 (1:52 pm)
If it's runny, add bread. If it's dry, add broth. If it's too soft and tasteless... add butter.

to ? 11.04.05 (1:53 pm)
ummm... you are?

to Jxxxxx 11.04.05 (1:54 pm)
I think that I kinda sorta remember that Thanksgiving... that was the crazy year, right? When we dared someone to run out into the alley with their pants down and yell "Anyone have toilet paper?!?!?"

to jxxxxxxxxxx 11.04.05 (1:56 pm)
Comfort food.

It's odd... sometimes, just seeing the food in the fridge, or knowing that you can afford it, makes you feel better. The mind... a terrible thing to taste?


by jxx 11.04.05 (3:25 pm)
But if the bird is cooked, it's too late :-( there's no fixing it. It always looks and smells great when I put it in, and then it all goes south. But, everything except the stuffing works out. At least my turkey is always wonderful and moist. I guess there are more important things to worry ourselves with...but the trivialities are such a nice distraction...so is wonderful food :-)


to jxx 11.04.05 (3:35 pm)
you have to make the stuffing FIRST. Make it to your liking, but leave it just a LITTLE wet, because when it cooks, it'll dry out a little.

Make the stuffing as a dish. Stuff the bird with the "well, if the stuffing runs out..." portion of the batch. Just leave the bird stuffing a little dryer (drier?) that the rest.


by jxx 11.04.05 (5:03 pm)
Actually, you know, that's not a bad idea...to put the stuffing in completely dry, no eggs or anything...because I cook my birds while they're still not fully thawed, and there's a bit of water that comes out...DUH. And I want to go to medical school. Shows how many brains I have left. Anyway, this is my secret for crispy skin and juicy breasts--marmalade. Tart if you can get it. Smoothed on very thin at first and thicker later if need be. Makes the skin seal in all the wonderful juices. Just don't get clods in the drippings or your gravy will be very sweet :-) Thanks, I'm glad I found someone who can point me to the obvious when I need it.

No comments: