Tuesday, June 15, 2004

~Salvaged

When I was 16, I fell in love.

Yes, I'd had girlfriends before then. A few, actually, but not like her.

Maybe it was the timing.... seeing the right face at the right time. Maybe it was fate... destiny... accident? I don't really know, but that day back in 1985 when I was sitting on the curb after school, and that car pulled up, and that girl got out, and unknowingly stopped my knife from ending all of it... it was the beginning of a love affair that would last the rest of my life. The actual relationship really only lasted until sometime in '88. It went through ups and downs. I was not the only one in her life/bed. ...but... she was my obsession... and she stayed my obsession.

During Christmas/New Year's vacation in '85-6, I filled a book with poetry. I wrote and wrote and obsessed and obsessed. When I went back to school after the break, I handed her the book and a rose.

I have the book. She was going to throw it away, and a mutual friend snagged it before it hit the trash. That friend kept it for years... maybe protecting me... maybe protecting it.

The poetry is, simply, horrible. Between the lines though, is a gold mine.


This is your heart. This is your heart on infatuation. Any questions?

No comments: