Monday, June 28, 2004

~Projects

I'm in the middle of a music project. I fear that I'm going to have to abandon it though. I haven't been in the right head space to work on it for months.

What gave birth to this project was another which I did for my brother. See, I have hundreds of cassette tapes. At last count, near 400. I just decided one day that I was going to make a collection for him. The first song off of the first side of every tape. The project was FUN. Too, it helped me discover which tapes weren't any good anymore... you know, the ones that go screeeee screeeeee screeeeee as the poor little 80s band tries to sing in the background.

When I was done, there were 19 tapes. I think that my brother appreciated them. He did get a very good sampling of Bowie, and heard Adam Ant for the first time. He REALLY liked the song "Friend or Foe", and is now buying Bowie CDs. That makes me feel good. Passing on good music is a good thing.

Anyway, from that project, I wanted to do another one. I decided that the next project would be for my best friend. What I decided to do was to do the exact same thing, side one, track one, only... put it in date order. Well, let me tell you... that's not exactly easy. I spent hours at Amazon/CD Now looking for dates. The Eagles Greatest Hits may have come out in '76, but "Take It Easy" was actually from '72. ...and what if it's a traditional or folk song? Do you go by the recording date, or the date it was written? You just can't go by the tape case on a lot of them.

I'm at 1982. There are 6 tapes so far. I think I'm giving up though. It's making me crazy having tapes all over the place and not in alphabetical order. I just hope that she'll understand. It's nothing personal, I'm just ODed on the whole project aspect of the thing. I'd rather just make single tapes for a while. I like being able to complete things in a reasonable amount of time. Five months on a tape project is just a little too long for me.

Speaking of the Eagles... "Hotel California" just came on the radio. How's that for coincidence? This song reminds me of Marie, my second roommate in the loony tute, once I bitched loudly enough about the first girl I was first roomed with.

Life is full of coincidences. If it's all going ok, there are A LOT of them. I read that in The Celestine Prophecy. If it's true, then I'm doing very very well lately.

No comments: