Tuesday, June 29, 2004

~Turn it off

Guess it's about bedtime. My eyes are getting heavy. There's a part of me that doesn't want to go to bed though. I have no clue what it is I want to do. Eat. Drink beer. Watch tv? (Magically transport myself across the country? YES!) ok... really... I don't know. In the last month I've really cut down on the tv watching. I guess I watch blogs instead. Maybe it's that there's enough drama in my own life? I don't know. I'm thinking that it's a good thing. TV really warps a person's sense of reality. It can be educational and enlightening too, but too much and you're forgetting what the world... your world is really like. Worse, you forget what you're really like... what your place is in everything... how normal you are... how ordinary.

Remember 9/11? Yeah... THE 9/11. I remember being asked, on a message board, how it had affected me. I gave an honest answer. I said, "It hasn't". Well, other than the drama of the day, it really didn't. I think that if people didn't have the Internet, tv, newspapers, the media in general... well... only the people in the areas where the planes went down, and their relatives and friends would have been affected. If it hadn't been for all that, it would've just been another day for me, and probably for millions of other people too.

I've always thought that at any moment, bad things were going to happen. Worrying about airplanes crashing into buildings? Old hat. No new worries in my book after that day.

People would be a lot less stressed out without the media. They'd look around them every day and realize it's just like the last. If the continent on the other side of the planet from you suddenly disappeared, would you notice, if not for the media?

Less tv. I think it's a good thing.

No comments: