Sunday, March 12, 2006

~It's always something.

11:12 AM - 3/12/06

Before crawling into bed last night, I took my socks off and noticed an odd, circular, bruise on the top of my left foot. Fucked up MS thing with me, I guess. If I injure myself, I often don't feel anything for a day or two. Then, all of a sudden... ouch. Retracing my steps isn't the easiest thing either. With my memory, If I don't write it down, it's often gone forever. Too often, it's obvious that I've hurt myself, but I have no clue how I did it.

I've always had a rather high pain tolerance. It just sort of happens, I guess. If you experience enough pain, eventually, you just sort of get used to it. I'm not talking out of my ass here either. As I've said before, on the pain scale, being razor sliced all over my body rings in at about a "5", and there is a "10". I've experienced some pretty severe stuff, even aside from the MS. For example, I broke my leg once. Never knew it at the time though. Showed up on x-rays after it had healed. I think that's pretty severe. Pain is just weird with me... it doesn't register, or it's dulled, or for no apparent reason it's insanely intense when I haven't even done anything. Sometimes... pain is such a rush. I think that I taught myself that as a kid. Pain is ecstasy.

So, yeah... right... my foot. After thinking for a bit, I remembered. It was the monster. That was a part of the story I left out. In truth, I completely forgot about it while typing out the story. When it happened, I just sort of cursed, then kept going. What happened though, is that about half of the monster, edge side down, fell on my foot while I was attempting to get it attached to the B shelves. It was wrapped around, and I was behind it, holding it, attempting to get the holes to line up with the pegs... and then it just slid back. Like I said, it was like an accordion. Two heavy 12x72" pieces of press-board, connected by a sort of vertically perforated, 30x72" piece of thin, fake, wood-grain crap, which becomes the back of the shelf, once it's finished. The vertical perforations make it fit nicely in the narrow box, but serve to yank half of the monster back into "on the floor" position while attempting to wrap the whole mess around the B shelves.

I'm going to refrain from typing out the "Made in the USA" monologue my brain just performed.

Anyway... on top of my high pain tolerance, my warped perception of pain, and funky pain timing issues, for the last month or so, a good portion of the top of my left foot has been completely numb. (I assume it's MS related.) So, if it wasn't for the not so pretty colors, I don't think I would have had the opportunity to file that part of the story into the "memories that are useful" section of my brain. Have to be thankful for every opportunity, right?

There's now a "bruises" page in the "something to blog about" folder.

Apparently my "how not to be a dumb-ass" folder, with the "boots" page in it was missing on Friday.)

No comments: