Tuesday, March 14, 2006

~Mistakes

7:12 AM - 3/14/06

I was going to add this to the comments on yesterday's Explosive rant entry, but I changed my mind. I want this as its own blog entry, not just as a comment.

A reader commented:

"As in your case, the medical profession often makes big mistakes that cause horrible results."

This morning's thoughts in response to that comment:

I'm not suing anyone. I've had a couple of years to think on this. What the Medical community did was listen to me, and before me, they listened to the people legally responsible for me.

To this day, if my doctor refuses to listen to me, I'll find another doctor who will. I have to take care of myself, it's no one else's job to do so. I learned that at a very young age.

This week is about MS AWARENESS. People need to understand that the signs and symptoms of MS include things that alter people's behavior and state of mind. This disease is not just about physical pain, blindness, loss of bowel function, and legs that don't work. MS is a disease which affects the central nervous system. That includes the brain. Everything that can go wrong with the brain can go wrong if MS is eating away at it. If someone is convicted of committing a crime, before they are locked in jail, it has to be determined that they are free of "mental disease or defect". MS affects the brain, that is where the "mental" lives. It's 2006. We have MRI machines in almost every hospital. There's no reason that a person should not be checked, either before trial, or at the least, before sentencing. MS is not, and should not be a "get out of jail free" card. If you kill someone, and it's because you have MS, you should be locked up. Apparently it's not safe to have you wandering around on the streets. Welcome to life in lock up, with the rest of the sick people, where you and your MS can stay the hell away from the rest of us who don't kill people.

but, I digress...

What the Medical community did was listen to me...

It's just a damn shame that those responsible for me could not do the same.

It's not simply that the medical profession made a big mistake that caused horrible results. It's that the people who were supposed to be taking care of me were too busy trying to cast me as "the bad guy", to alleviate their own guilt, to make sure that the medical community was actually doing their job with me.

No comments: